A New Finish for a Tired Chest of Drawers!

This old chest of drawers has been on the road!  It served it's time in the original maple finish in the 50's, then went to college and painted white for a few new homes along the way. 

I had wanted to try this finish for a long time and finally met someone who was interested.  The dings and scratches only added to the charm once the dry brush in a darker shade was applied. 

The base coat is a blue gray, followed by a touch of gold and then a brownish shading.  Painting the brass drawer pulls an oil rubbed bronze updated them.  The result gave it a fresh look similar to what you see on the market today. 

Before:

 
 
After:
 
 
 
 
 



Restoring a beautiful table top!

This beautiful table was ruined by a melted scented wax deodorizer, the type you plug in a wall.  It was accidentally put on this table top while it was still hot.  As you can see, it ate the finish right off!  The owner was extremely upset by this because it is a solid cherry table that is part of a set that she had invested in some years ago.

I sanded it down to the bare wood, stained 3 times to achieve the perfect match, then topcoated and finally, used a finish wax.  Sanding between each step gave it that smooth finish and feel that it had originally.  Good as new!

Seems like I am doing a lot of staining lately!

Before:
 
 
After:
 


She did not bring the drawer so it wasn't available for this final picture.
 



1942 Lane Cedar Chest Restored

This cedar chest was worn out on the outside.  It had been in a flood and had some burn marks on it along with some missing veneer and wood trim.  Amazingly the inside was in perfect condition.  It belonged to my clients mother.  She inherited it at a young age when her mother passed away and did not cherish or appreciate it at the time.  So many of us are guilty of this!  When we are young, we don't realize that pieces like this will become treasures to hold on to in the future.  Over the years she regretted not taking better care of it and wanted to finally have it restored.  I was more than happy to take on the task! 

A thorough sanding revealed the intricate veneer design.  The next step was to repair the loose trim and fill in the gaps where pieces had been broken and missing.  I chose a darker stain to give it a uniform finish.  Three coats of an oil based topcoat brought it back to beautiful again!

I have done several of these old cedar chests.  I love the process and the outcome!  

Before:


During:


 
 
After:
 

 

 

 


 

Fireplace Surround - From Boring White to a Little Shine

This fireplace surround was something many of us have in boring white.  After you live with it for a while you keep thinking "What can I do to this to make it more interesting?"

The solution here was to paint it a soft metallic gold, then dry brush over that with a putty color. The metallic just peeks through.  Just enough shine without over doing it!  Because of the rough finish of the original paint, it almost has a plaster look to it.  Sometimes a bad original finish works in my favor!

I love the way it came out and after painting the walls a gray-blue, it really gave the room some much needed change.

Before:

 
 
After: 



 


 

Giving An Older Dining Set a Second Chance!

I have been so lucky to meet wonderful people who call on me to re do their furniture.  This set belongs to a lovely lady who contacted me recently.  She was undecided on whether to keep it or toss it out and buy new.  Fortunately, she gave me the opportunity to show her what good style her set still had and how it could be better than new!

Last summer she bought a buffet that had lots of muted colors so we wanted to compliment but not upstage that great piece. We decided on Paris Grey (an ASCP).  I love the color and accented the curves to show them off with a darker shade of blue.  This paint and wax finish really is suited for this style of furniture.  I also accented the metal plates on the pedestal feet with a metallic paint that is more up to date.  Her daughter found a fabulous fabric to recover the seats with.  I added some extra foam and batting to give them bounce again.

The top of the table was thoroughly sanded down to the bare wood, re stained and sealed with a durable topcoat.  It had been well used over the years and it was time for a clean start.

She is very happy that she didn't put it on the curb!

Before:

 
 
After: